Connect with us


Murang’a County offices destroyed by fire



Property worth millions of shillings was today destroyed after fire burnt down a building housing several governments’ offices.

The fire affected an office block housing departments of Youth, Sports, Culture, Social services, Adult education, Women Enterprise Fund and National Council for Persons with Disabilities.

The inferno is said to have started at the office of adult education then spread to other offices before the county fire brigade responded.

Murang’a county disaster management officer, Bilha Wanjiru said they got alert and dispatched two fire engines to the scene.

“We tried to contain the fire but unfortunately we ran out of water. Our vehicles were forced to go back to our fire offices to get more water as there is no water head-drop near the offices,” added Wanjiru.

She observed that more destruction happened when the fire engines went to get more water saying in some offices there were tyres and cooking gas cylinders which prompted the fire to spread fast.


Inua Dada on the Frontline to ensure Menstrual hygiene



In light of the above Inua Dada Foundation through its CEO Janet Mbugua, is on the frontline to ensure all girls and women have access to pads during their monthly period.

Inua Dada today joined more than eight community based organisations in observing the Menstrual Hygiene Day at the Kibera grounds. Alongside Yasmin Mohamed of Superb CBO

The CEO of Inua Dada said, “we are committed to raising awareness, ending stigma and pushing for justice and equality each day and we need to ensure that the over 1 million girls who are locked out of an education because they lack pads, are able to study uninterrupted.

The govt MUST increase the budgetary allocation for Menstrual products. It’s an affront to the rights of women and girls to not have access to sanitary towels’.

Janet has used her voice in a global call to action, in association with like minded organisations in the push to achieve Menstrual Equity.

The Founder of Inua Dada observed, “Over and above the great work that many institutions are doing to reform youth and impact the larger community, they always come back to this statement

“We can only fully empower the girls when we provide them with continuous access to sanitary towels”.

According to official data, some 13,000 Kenyan girls drop out of school every year due to pregnancy. Most are unlikely to return.

As a proactive measure, Inua Dada is currently rolling out our Adopt A Dada program, where we return teen mothers to school and support their transition back to class and their reintegration back to the community.

It’s a journey we’ve recently embarked on and we are keen to equip girls and their families with the tools to cope and thrive as the transition takes begins.

The 1994 School Re-entry Policy for Girls provided guiding principles for educators, parents, and communities in support of teenage mothers’ return to schools.

Not only are we doing our part as a foundation, but we’re holding policymakers accountable in ensuring that re-entry of girls back to school is affirmed and monitored.” Ms Janet observed.

Inua Dada is currently training women at their centre in Korogocho, equipping them with the skills to make sanitary pads and ensuring the products are made available to underserved women and girls.

Continue Reading


Nakuru: Taxi driver killed, body dumped in thicket



Taxi operators in Nakuru have asked the police to expedite investigations into the murder of a driver whose body was found dumped in a thicket.

The operators blocked the busy Nakuru- Eldoret highway at Soilo in Nakuru Town West, to protest the killing of John Nderitu.

Mr Nderitu went missing two days earlier, and his car recovered on Thursday, a day before his body was recovered about 20 metres away.

Continue Reading


Garissa: Man ‘jokingly’ sets self ablaze with methylated spirit after being misguided by nurse



Police are investigating an incident in which a man set himself ablaze after being misguided by his nurse friend in Garissa’s Iftin.

Mohamud Haret, a resident of Kora Kora area of Iftin had escorted a patient to Mukono hospital where his friend works as a nurse.

During the visit, Haret innocently consulted the medic if the methylated spirit he saw at the desk could cause burns.

Unsure of whether Haret was serious or just messing around, the nurse jokingly told him to test it out for himself, urging him to apply it on his body and ignite it.

“The victim followed the instructions and in the process got serious burns in the head, chest and hands,” the police report reads.

The man has since been transferred to Ghal Private Hospital for further treatment where he is currently in stable condition.

Officers based at the county’s Iftin Police Station have began investigations into the bizarre incident.

Continue Reading